Thursday, June 19, 2008

I have an idea!!!


Ok - so I know this is random - but this is one of my favorite stories about my nephew Jordan when he was 3. Last April for my brother Robert's birthday he made the trek down from Hagerstown with Francie (his wife), and his sons (my nephews of course) Ivon and Jordan. So - my brother had requested that my mom make a "Granny Cake" nick named after our Granny Griffin who would use a yellow "dunky and hines" (AKA Duncan Hines) cake mix and make chocolate icing and put pecans on the top and in the icing in between the three layers. When they got there we were going to eat dinner and then have cake later. The boys walk in and of course they are terribly excited to see their darling aunt (Yes, I'm talking about me!). Jordan took about 30 seconds to survey the area and saw the cake. This is when he announced to everyone, "I have an idea! Let's eat some brown cake!" He was so excited - but we all soon explained that we still needed to eat dinner and it would be a little while before we ate some cake. He said "Ok" and began playing with the toys. A couple of minutes later he stops playing and puts his hands up and exclaims, "I have an idea! Let's eat some brown cake!!!" We then explain to him once again that we still have to eat dinner. He happily says "Ok"... this is the beginning of a pattern. Though sometimes he would emphasize "Let's eat some BROWN CAKE!" and be just as happy to let us tell him "not yet" as we are splitting at the seems with laughter because every time he said it, it was as though he was saying it for the first time - with such enthusiasm and surprise to know that there was cake for his dad's birthday. There are some very precious moments that can be hard to capture, but I would have to say when that boy finally got a piece of "brown cake" there hasn't been a happier 3 year old. If ever I say, "Let's eat some brown cake" after you have just told me "I have an idea!" That is why...

No comments: